Sunday 15 September 2013

Crochet Hexagons and Colour Chart


So far on this Lakeside Forest Blanket I have made 30 out of the (hopefully no more than) 99 hexagons. After completing about 10 hexagons or so I'm weaving in the ends. The prospect of doing all these at the end is very off putting and the only thing I dislike about multi-coloured crochet projects.


I'm doing the hex's in stages, making a batch of coloured centres first, then adding the cream boarder on all of them, then adding the final grey edging.



I planned the colour sequencing by using this custom hexagon graph paper generator. The URL for this gadget was included in the crochet blanket instructions and has proved quite useful.





The paper I generated has a few more than the 11 x 9 hexagons


I'm using five colours for the centres, pink, green, yellow, blue and purple. The paper has helped to organise the sequence and no two colours are next to each other. 




 
Each hexagon measures 4 1/2 inches (11.5cm) across. Based on this measurement the 11 x 9 hexagons should make a blanket approx. 40 inches by 50 inches - I'll be adding a boarder and maybe some more hex's, I'll see how it looks once I have the 99 sewn together.