Monday 27 January 2020

Garter Yoke Baby Cardi



I've been trying out this lovely new yarn. It's Regatta DK from the Spring/Summer 2020 collection at Stylecraft. I received a sample in the ‘Henley’ colour way and made a quick, easy baby cardigan.

Searching the knitting site Ravelry for a simple baby cardigan brought up this pattern, Garter Yoke Baby Cardi by Jennifer Hoel. It's knit from the top down with seamless raglan sleeves. At the time of searching there were almost 5,000 projects made using the pattern, quite popular and lots of good reviews, free to download as well. I made a guess that the one ball sample would be enough to complete the project.


The pattern instructions are for one size 6-12 months. But easily adapted by using larger/small needles and heavier/lighter weight yarn. The pattern calls for sport weight yarn and 3.5mm needles. For my project I used a 4.5mm circular needle in the DK weight Regatta and almost all the ball of yarn.

The way the colours work in the garter stitch section looks particularly nice. Also for a cotton yarn it is easy to work with and has a nice bounce to it. As I used this for a baby knit, needless to say it is also very soft on the skin.









The print effect yarn is 76% Cotton, 18% Polyamide, 8% Polyester Elastane, weight DK, 260m/284yds, 100g and comes in 6 colour combinations. 

Image curtesy of Stylecraft 


Stylecraft have 5 pattern leaflets for the yarn offering cheerful designs for girls and women. Including this chevron poncho using the Habour colour way, which if I had time I'd make for myself. I love the way the colours work and the casual easy to wear design.

If only I had the time!

Image curtesy of Stylecraft